Articles tagged with: Illinois
* Yet another mess created by Pat Quinn that has yet to be cleaned up by the current administration…
The situation for women housed at the Logan Correctional Center in downstate Lincoln has become “untenable,” according to a new study funded by the Department of Justice that found overcrowded conditions, problems with handling mentally ill inmates […]
* As expected…
House fails to override SB250. Would eliminate redundant paperwork, streamline function, clean up voter rolls and save money. #AVRinIL
— IL Senate Democrats (@ILSenDems) November 29, 2016
Illinois House fails to override Gov. Rauner veto of automatic registration bill. Four votes shy of 71 needed.
— Ivan Moreno (@IvanJourno) November 29, 2016
#AVRinIL fails to […]
* Speaker Madigan yesterday…
“The governor has spoken at length about a lame duck tax increase. I think it’s very interesting. I think that we ought to listen to the governor and work with the governor and that’s what I plan to do.”
* Gov. Rauner was asked about Madigan’s comment early this morning…
“That’s a […]
* The Illinois Republican Party has a new website called BossMadigan.com. The party is making no bones about its three top targets for next cycle and is warning them about their vote for House Speaker in January…
* From the site…
Brandon Phelps has taken over $200,000 from Mike Madigan’s political machine and has voted […]
* The House Democrats have lately taken to demanding that Gov. Rauner produce a “real” budget plan…
Illinois lawmakers return to the Capitol this week to continue the annual veto session.
One of their top priorities is passage of a budget. Legislative leaders will meet with Governor Bruce Rauner. He’s pushing for an […]
* House GOP Leader Jim Durkin emerged from the governor’s office this afternoon to ask that the Democrats not take up any veto overrides during the veto session and instead spend all their time on resolving the impasse.
“Let’s take care of the biggest issue that we have and that’s the budget,” Durkin said. […]
Ran into Speaker Madigan at the capitol. He declined to say what he’ll be doing at 1 p.m. instead of meeting w/ Gov Rauner. ‘We’ll resked.’
— Amanda Vinicky (@AmandaVinicky) November 14, 2016
He’s at the Statehouse, the other leaders are meeting at one o’clock, but he has a scheduling conflict. Hmm.
* From a top […]
* An Atlantic article about Jessica Post, the executive director of the Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee, “a party organization tasked with winning back state legislatures”…
Groups like the DLCC saw the 2016 presidential election as a critical point to turn statehouses and governorships blue, and ride that momentum into the 2018 midterms—so that by 2020, the […]
Redfield, professor emeritus of political science at the University of Illinois Springfield, compared the top 10 donors, or donor families, to Illinois state and local campaign committees in three four-year cycles.
He found that the total of those top donors in 2005-08 was $19.2 million, with 2006 Republican primary candidate for governor Ron Gidwitz and […]
* My weekly syndicated newspaper column…
The innocuous-looking mailer began arriving last Wednesday.
Whoever sent it used plain manila envelopes with first class postage. Usually campaigns use bulk mail, but those have permit numbers, making them traceable. First class mail isn’t so easily tracked.
There was no return address on the envelopes. Whoever sent it used preprinted […]