* University of Illinois President Robert Easter sent a “Dear colleague” e-mail this week outlining a possible new supplemental retirement program for university employees…
The changes made to reduce the cost of the pension systems to the state and fully fund them within 30 years falls, to a large extent, on employees and retirees, [...]
* While the world mourns the loss of Nelson Mandela and celebrates his amazing and purposeful life, it’s important to remember that we still have some real racial problems right here at home. Take, for instance, eight-term Williamson County State’s Attorney Charles Garnati…
The top prosecutor in a southern Illinois county is facing a legal [...]
* The Guardian got its hands on an internal document from the State Policy Network that includes grant proposals from several conservative state-level “think tanks.” The proposals represent, according to the Guardian, “a co-ordinated assault against public sector rights and services.”
According to the Guardian, the State Policy Network “has an annual warchest of [...]
* Adam Rosen is the Communications Director for SEIU Local 73. He told the Associated Press that in the run-up to the pension reform vote, two Republican gubernatorial candidates sought endorsements from the union…
Rosen told the AP the union has met with two Republican gubernatorial bidders seeking future endorsements. Republican state Sen. Kirk Dillard [...]
* Forwarded by a reader…
From: “Amazon Associates”
Sent: Wednesday, December 4, 2013 5:55:32 PM
Subject: Amazon Associates program is again open to residents of the State of Illinois
We’re pleased to announce that the Amazon Associates program is again open to residents of the State of Illinois.
We’re now able to re-open the program because the Illinois [...]
* House Speaker Michael Madigan spoke to WGN TV on his way out of the Statehouse last night. He was asked about Bruce Rauner’s opposition to the pension reform bill…
“I think he wants to blow up the issue and have nothing happen so that he’ll keep his campaign issue that he’s the outsider with the [...]
* ADM wants its tax break to help open its Chicago world headquarters today…
“We need a decision by the end of ‘13 so now is the time,” Gregory Webb, ADM vice president for state government relations, told the Lee Enterprises Springfield Bureau on Monday.
* But the bill is caught up in some last minute games…
* Surprise, surprise. Eden Martin, who maxed out to Bruce Rauner’s campaign in May (back when caps were in place), agrees with Bruce Rauner that the pension reform proposal just isn’t harsh enough.
But there are some real whoppers in the former Civic Committee president’s latest Sun-Times column, and they’re worth a look. For instance…
* A story from last summer to refresh your memory…
A fundraising consultant and longtime acquaintance has filed suit against Jason Plummer over outstanding debts from his failed Congressional campaign.
Franny Decker of Decker Consulting Services in Washington, D.C., has sued Plummer personally and his election committee, Plummer for Congress, for more than $50,000. Decker alleges that [...]
* As you’ll recall, Public Policy Polling’s recent statewide poll showed Bruce Rauner leading the Republican gubernatorial primary race with 24 percent.
A Capitol Fax/We Ask America poll taken before Rauner went back on the air with hundreds of thousands of dollars in TV ads had Rauner in fourth place with 11 percent. [...]