* Here comes the Gold Star ad…
Pat Quinn is the best political “closer” I’ve ever seen. He’s also a man of habit. We saw this exact same “Gold Star” ad in the 2010 primary and another in the general election.
So if history is any guide, we’ll soon see a big economic [...]
* All of these videos have well over 100,000 views. I didn’t notice them until last night, when one popped up on a YouTube video I was watching. They’re all designed to publicize the statewide ballot initiatives and blast the Republicans. The first one we’ll look at is about employer birth control [...]
According to the Center for Public Integrity, $379 million has been spent on commercials in the 36 gubernatorial races this fall — $58 million more than has been spent on ads in the 36 Senate races. That includes a stunning $62 million in ads in the Florida race between Gov. Rick Scott (R) and [...]
* My weekly syndicated newspaper column…
I wasn’t hugely surprised when Local 150 of the International Union of Operating Engineers contributed $30,000 to the Illinois Libertarian Party’s candidate for governor Chad Grimm earlier this month.
After all, the union’s president, Jim Sweeney, was out in front of the push to beat Bruce Rauner during the Republican primary. [...]
* My Crain’s Chicago Business column…
You’re not going to believe this, and I didn’t either: For the first time, all-powerful Illinois House Speaker Michael Madigan is not dominating the spending race this year.
I ran some campaign contributions numbers through the Illinois State Board of Elections’ website. When I finished I was so startled that I [...]
* From a press release…
The administration of Governor Pat Quinn, the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission and the Department of Insurance (DOI) announced that a national study has provided additional evidence that Illinois’ historic workers’ compensation reforms are delivering major savings for businesses across the state. The biennial report by the Oregon Department of Consumer and [...]
* I don’t know why anybody would publish poll results that include data as old as 25 days, but whatever, here are the numbers…
Democratic Illinois Governor Pat Quinn enjoys a two and one-half point lead among registered voters over Republican challenger Bruce Rauner, according to the latest statewide poll from the Paul Simon Public Policy [...]
* Eric Scott doesn’t like the practice of using clips of TV news anchors/reporters in political ads…
The Republican candidate for governor, Bruce Rauner, is now running a commercial featuring local TV news anchor lead-ins to negative stories about his Democratic opponent. It shows three clips from newscasts that aired on stations in the Champaign-Decatur [...]
* Not surprisingly, the City Club debate between treasurer candidates Tom Cross and Mike Frerichs this week was heated at times…
If you go to the 40-minute mark of this video, you’ll see the two men go toe-to-toe over whether Bruce Rauner’s budget proposal is balanced or not.
* From the Sun-Times…
Cross, who has promised [...]
* ABC 7…
In a debate at the DuSable Museum of African American history, candidates for governor vied for the black vote that Republicans are not conceding this year.
“Governor Quinn, in my opinion, is taking the African American vote for granted,” said Rauner.
Rauner told the majority African American audience and panel that blacks had [...]